Friday, September 21, 2012

1/72 scale A-Wing

I'm starting work on my next Star Wars project, a 1/72 scale A-Wing as seen in Return of Jedi.  This kit was mastered by SSM Forum member who goes by RB26. The level of detail on this kit is nothing short of amazing for it's size. 

I have previously built an A-Wing kit that was produced by Fantastic Plastic in 1/72 scale. At the time it was the only model available and as it was only my second attempt at a resin kit, it did not turn out nearly as well as I wanted. This newer kit is much more detailed, and matches the studio filming model better.

The RB26 A-Wing:
 It even has little rivet wholes around the panel lines and the casting is very smooth.
A Picture of the Studio model to compare to the RB26:

 The RB26 next to the FP kit, the shape of the RB26 is much more accurate to the filming model:

A rear view of the studio A-Wing:
The FP kit is on the left and the RB26 on the right, again much more accurate and better detail:

 A comparison of canopy shapes:

 This is going to be slow moving project as my wife delivered our second child only two weeks ago, but in whatever spare time I can find this should prove to be a nice distraction.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, The kit looks amazing! Can I get RB26's email address so I can buy the kit please? Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, this kit was a limited run. If you are a member on the Starshipmodeler.com fourm, RB26 is the name you need to pm. Past that, your best bet is to ask around on various fourms and see if anyone has one to sell. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind reply.
    Cheers,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete