Monday, January 28, 2013

Venator Class Republic Star Destroyer

The mighty Venator, backbone of the Old Republic's navy. I love this ship, not only is it a great design but you can clearly see that it is a predecessor to the Empire's fearsome Imperial Star Destroyer. This kit I got for Christmas, and it is truly spectacular. Mastered by Nicholas Sagan and cast by .jpg models, this is one of the best resin kits I have ever worked on, the level of detail and accuracy is better that most styrene kits, and that includes the RSD produced by Revell.

Now for a few pictures:

Here is the kit with all the goodies it comes with

 
My copy came with only one big casting flaw. This top part of the back "fin" was gone.


Not a problem, I used some sheet styrene to build and replace the fin and armor panel. Now good as new.

There were also a few minor air bubbles in my cast, but nothing a little bit of putty and sandpaper can't fix.



Smooth:


Added detail parts:



 I have been spending this week adding detail to the rear of the ship. I still plan on adding more the side trenches as well.




I got a little more work done this week. I used my trusty pinvise to drill out the barrels on the main guns, then added a little photetch detail to them.


With those cleaned up I've moved on to detailing the front of the hull. I added some more detail around the bridge towers:

The RSD has a set of forward guns on the side trenches, this kit came with resin barrels that were thick and looked out of scale to me. I replaced them with some smaller, and thinner styrene barrels from the 1/700 scale battleship kit:

Painting on the RSD.
The stripes are masked off:

And the final result:



Engines and main guns:



I used my Dremel and and new cutting tool to make the base:



Finished pictures of the Republic Star Destroyer. The only decals are the Open Circle Fleet insignia on the top hull, everything else is hand painted detail.








The Venator over Coruscant


No comments:

Post a Comment